Victims of crime

An application for Victims of Crime Assistance must be made within 2 years of the act of violence.

If you are the victim of a crime or have witnessed a crime, a report needs to be made to the police as soon as possible.

The  Victims of Crime Helpline is available on Telephone 1800 819 817, a free service (excluding mobiles) offering information, advice and referrals to assist victims to manage and recover from the effects of crime. When a report has been made to the police you are able to get access to counseling (in certain cases) and you may be able to apply for financial assistance through the Victims of Crime Assistance Tribunal (VOCAT).

To protect you from family violence or stalking, you may apply to the Magistrates Court for an Intervention Order or a Personal Safety Intervention Order. If you feel that you are in danger, contact Victoria Police on 000.

There is also the Victims Assistance and Counselling Program (VACP), a free network of service providers across Victoria, which provide services to victims of violent crime. Windemere Child and Family Services can be contacted on (03) 9705 3200 or via their website.

Additional support services:

Men’s Referral Service
A free, anonymous and confidential telephone counselling, information and referral service for men and those concerned about their behaviour, or the safety of their family members.
Tel: 1800 065 973 or 9428 2899

Women’s Information and Referral Exchange
Free information, support and referrals for women.
Tel: 1300 134 130

Salvation Army Crisis Service
Tel: 1800 627 727

Please note that this information does not amount to legal advice. It is for your information only.

Casey Cardinia Community Legal Service Inc does not take responsibility for the accuracy or currency  of the information on this page or any other page on this website.

To discuss your problem, please make an appointment to see a lawyer.